Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Apr 18 18:55:50 CEST 2016

Michael Everson wrote:

> How about “… and that process will have to be initiated, failing a
> positive response from the RA to the present request.”?

Works for me.

Since BCP 47 does have such a mechanism, but this group has a strong
aversion to using it, we should be prepared to explain both:

(a) why we really, really prefer not to use it (possibility of conflict
if the RA later approves a code element; some processes are incompatible
with 5- to 8-letter language subtags) and

(b) that it is an option nevertheless, which would decouple BCP 47 from
ISO 639 in a way they may not want.

That's not to say we need to incorporate all that in the appeal, but we
should have the arguments ready.

>>> Thus we write to the 639 RA in appeal, and ​strongly request that
>>> the language code be added to ISO 639 within the next three months
>>> (by 2016-05-31), to avoid this situation.
>>
>> Today is 2016-04-18, so either the time frame or the deadline date
>> needs to be adjusted.
>
> Recommendation?

Personally I would argue for three months at least. We are already
pushing our luck by asking the RA to respond outside of their normal
annual cycle -- like it or not, that is how they normally do things.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸