Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Apr 18 17:47:27 CEST 2016

Michael Everson wrote:

> We ask the ISO 639 RA to conider this.

Replace "conider" with "consider".

> The request for a language tag for Elfdalian was to enable text to be
> tagged so that texts written in Elfdalian, and to provide standardized
> tools (CLDR, keyboards) for Elfdalian since many of those tools
> require formal language tags or subtags.

The clause ending with the comma appears to be a fragment. Perhaps
something like "... to enable texts written in Elfdalian to be tagged as
such" was intended.

> However, there is the possibility in BCP47 for registration of a
> language sub​tag that is not based on ISO 639, and that process has
> been initiated.

Technically this process has not yet been initiated -- to my knowledge,
we have no outstanding registration form for a non-639 language
subtag -- and as this list is monitored by the 639-3 Registrar, it would
be best for credibility's sake to state instead that we are on the verge
of initiating the process, which is true.

> Thus we write to the 639 RA in appeal, and ​strongly request that the
> language code be added to ISO 639 within the next three months (by
> 2016-05-31), to avoid this situation.

Today is 2016-04-18, so either the time frame or the deadline date needs
to be adjusted.

With these changes, I support this wording.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸