Old Italian language

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Sep 19 17:52:09 CEST 2015

David Starner wrote:

> This is far from a formal proposal, but editors on Wiktionary turned
> out to be labeling some entries "Old Italian", and a discussion there
> has ensued. Do the experts here think that this is something for ISO
> 639-3 or that there's a major (sub 639-3) division that's worth
> tagging here?

"Old" varieties of languages which date back to the 10th to 14th
centuries tend to be encoded as separate languages in ISO 639-3, so I'd
suggest taking this to the RA first.

Unfortunately, their annual review period has just ended, so a request
submitted now would not be formally approved or rejected by the RA until
approximately February 2017. This is simply the cost of doing business
with 639-3, and shouldn't influence anyone's judgment of whether to
consider Old Italian a language or a variant.

As I'm sure David knows, the RA will certainly want more extensive
evidence of the distinct identity of Old Italian than that Wiktionary
editors are labeling content as such.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸