Another attempt at plain language

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Fri Sep 11 10:31:40 CEST 2015

Den 2015-09-10 21:20, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at telia dot com> wrote:
>
>> Thus, I would in addition prefer a subtag name like "easy" rather than
>> "plain" or "simple". "Easy to read (or follow in speech), easy to
>> understand".
>
> That was exactly the opposite of my point. Language can be easy to
> understand for (at least) two reasons:
>
> 1. because it uses basic vocabulary and grammatical structures
>
> 2. because the content is direct and to the point
>
> I didn't want to argue over the exact value of the subtag, but to my
> mind, 'easy' could denote either of these concepts, and I believe that
> is quite the wrong approach.
>
> I think at the least, 'plain' would likely be interpreted as
> "straightforward, non-obfuscatory," which is NOT tied to any given

But also not very useful. "Normal" content should be expected to be
straightforward (in the sense of clear) and non-obfuscatory. There
should be no need to tag that specially. Not all content is that,
but would any "obfuscator" really tag the content as "obfuscated"?

Further, a text intended for (say) medical personnel may use terminology
that laymen are not familiar with. It may still be straightforward
and non-obfuscated for medical professionals.

> language, and 'simple' would likely be interpreted as "not requiring
> advanced skills in language X."

I gather that this was the intent of this. There is also a different
concept of "formulated for laymen", i.e. not using terminology or
formulations used only by trained professionals. It might still require
"advanced" skills in language X.

/Kent K