Another attempt at plain language

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Thu Sep 10 19:30:48 CEST 2015

Den 2015-09-10 17:24, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> I'm still not sure whether the proposal is for "plain language" in
> the government sense, meaning content that gets right to the point
> and doesn't beat around the bush, or "simplified language" that a child
> or second-language learner could understand. These are different concepts.

I would oppose the former. Not all governments define a "plain language".
The latter is more informal. Sure, there are levels of "easy to read/
listen to/understand", but at least it is more general and not tied to
what any government may define. E.g. "<lang>-easy" could be applied to
certain news programs/pages
(see e.g.
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=493&artikel=184871,
http://www.newsinlevels.com/#,
http://www.noticiasfacil.es/ES/QueEsLecturaFacil/Paginas/default.aspx).

Thus, I would in addition prefer a subtag name like "easy" rather than
"plain" or "simple". "Easy to read (or follow in speech), easy to
understand".

/Kent K