Another attempt at plain language

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Sep 2 20:36:31 CEST 2015

“In that case,” said the Dodo solemnly, rising to its feet, “I move that the meeting adjourn, for the immediate adoption of more energetic remedies—”

“Speak English!” said the Eaglet. “I don’t know the meaning of half those long words, and, what’s more, I don’t believe you do either!” And the Eaglet bent down its head to hide a smile: some of the other birds tittered audibly.

This “plain” thing is a style of discourse, not a genuine language variant.

Something like “Basic English” which is a strictly controlled entity, might be a candidate. But I don’t think this “plain English” or whatever is anything but style.