Language Subtag Registration

Felix Sasaki fsasaki at w3.org
Thu Oct 29 21:27:23 CET 2015

> Am 29.10.2015 um 14:24 schrieb Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>:
>
> On 28 Oct 2015, at 22:45, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki at w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps this can be finessed. Either we say “Wikipedia Simple Language Version” with en as the prefix adding fr or de or ru later, or to keep “Wikipedia Simple English” and add “Wikipedia Simple French” etc later at need.
>>
>> The issue is that the notion of simple language may differ severely among different wikipedia language version.
>
> What, in morphology, vocabulary, and syntax? Sure: they’d be forms of distinct languages. Hence the prefix.
>
>> So if the purpose of the extension is to cover wikipedia simple english this should be made explicit in the subtag itself and not in the prefix. And there may then be a need later to create other subtags for other wikipedia language versions.
>
> The prefix proposed is en, since as yet there are no fr, de, or ru Simple Wikipedias, though these have been discussed. The subtag proposed is wpsimple because for any Simple Wikipedia there will be house-style guidelines which define the content.
>
> Less precise than Basic English, for example. But nevertheless, defined and implemented.
>
>> My point is that each community behind a selected wikipedia language version will likely say: we want our own language (subtag) identifier.
>
> I don’t see why you make this assumption.

This comes from experience with the accessibility community who are keen on not trying to provide machine readable identifiers for simple languages. See the recent related subtag discussion on this list. The accessibility community has good reasons for avoiding such identifiers due to the variety of simple languages; with this background, I think defining a general wpsimple sub tag is a bad idea or at least should make sure that the accessibility community has been heard. In my impression after all they provide a lot of content creators in the simple language realm, may they edit in wikipedia or in other contexts.

Best,

Felix