Pending requests

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 14:26:22 CET 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 13:02, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2015, at 11:19, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14 at telia.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm indifferent as to whether one should add a variant subtag for "Ogden Basic English", but if added, the subtag must *not* be "basiceng", as that would certainly be interpreted as some/any kind of "simplified English". "ogden”, "ogdeneng" would be fine.
>
> Interpreted by whom? The parameters for the subtags are given in the proposals which are archived by IANA.

By users who do not read the IANA submissions before using a tag they
saw and think fits their use case.

A bit like people who see "de-DE, fr-FR, it-IT" and then produce
"jp-JP (or ja-JA), en-EN" and similar tags.

You can't completely prevent people from doing stuff they do not
understand, but sometimes the potential for mistaken use can be
lessened by the choice of term.

Regards,
Philip Newton