UN M.49 in language tags & locales

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Nov 9 20:22:36 CET 2015

John Cowan wrote:

> The Official Doug keeps track of additions to the UN list and gets
> them added to the Registry when required, but I don't think this has
> happened lately, maybe not ever.

There have been no changes to M.49 that affected the Registry since the
publication of RFCs 4645 and 4646 in 2006. A year earlier, 062
"South-Central Asia" was withdrawn and replaced by 034 "Southern Asia"
and 143 "Central Asia". This affected pre-planning versions of the LSR,
but not the RFC 4645 initial version.

We did exceptionally add 003 "North America" in 2010, which covers all
of the Americas except South (as opposed to 021 "Northern America",
which is just Bermuda, Canada, Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and
the US). 003 was originally omitted from the Registry since it was just
a footnote to 021 in the UN standard, not part of the
containment/composition tree (which, as John noted, doesn't affect BCP
47 anyway). I understand 003 is useful for some locale purposes.

No changes at all have been made to M.49 since the addition of South
Sudan in 2011.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸