Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 25 16:30:43 CET 2015

> Examples, please. If you know what you are talking about, give examples. Otherwise, well, are you just guessing?

A developer localized their C# app to the "official" orthography for pt-PT, however some casual users objected and want the previous spelling.  (The aforementioned controversy surrounding the reforms I imagine).  C# uses language tags for resource loading.  So they need a tag to differentiate the two.  They could hack the system and use "pt" and "pt-PT" and "pt-BR" as different things, but that's pretty much abusing how the tags work.

Apparent from the discussion is that there is some variation in how such applications may actually choose to do the two localizations, however the ask is for a Boolean either-or type solution, there has been no need discovered for fine levels of detail.

> > What I have not heard is any suggestions of alternate solutions that would enable my need to differentiate between multiple variations of Portuguese (pt-PT to be exact) and also address your concerns.  I'd be totally happy to entertain any alternative tags that would help me have multiple versions coexist.  As far as I personally care it could be pt-alternate (though I imagine others would find that a little too vague).

> This is EXACTLY the discussion I want us to have about this.

You've objected but provided no alternatives, which, IMO, isn't really a discussion.  If you see a problem with the proposal, how do you propose to fix it?

- Shawn