Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Mar 21 16:01:09 CET 2015

Another. As far as I can tell there is no standard orthography to be tagged. Not without sub-subtags.

==========
More thoughts:

- before 1990:
António, homónimo, higiénico, génese were ao45
Antônio, homônimo, higiênico, gênese were abl43
- after 1990:
all 8 forms are ao1990 and the first 4 are still ao45

- there is no such thing as pt-ao1990 (as one of your correspondents suggests): the Brasília CPLP summit declared that each of the signatory countries could/should maintain their "orthographic tradition" in their own adoption of ao1990 (so the treaty can be applied differently in each country -- why then make a unification treaty in the first place if you declare that it is partially void?); hence Antônio, homônimo, higiênico, gênese are *pt-BR-ao1990* and António, homónimo, higiénico, génese are *pt-PT-ao1990*; this is the craziness we have to deal with -— an orthographic agreement where it is agreed that PT and BR disagree in their implementation of the reform; the Brasília declaration can be viewed at the CPLP's website

- there is not a single unified specification of ao1990, something that the 1990 treaty itself stipulates as condition sine qua non; all 3 Portuguese wordlists were published by entities funded by the Portuguese government!; ergo the 3 list are official; I submit that if you adopt a tag like ao1990 you must also adopt a tag like pt-PT-ao1990 (per the Brasilia summit) and 3 additional tags referring to each of the 3 lists: pt-PT-ao1990-iltec, pt-PT-ao1990-acl, pt-PT-ao1990-incm; do you really want to go this way and subscribe to the craziness? this is real; this should not be happening in a modern civilized country in the EU.

On Mar 21, 2015, at 12:11 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

> I don’t dismiss the concerns António has raised. Lawsuits?

Doutor António H F P A Emiliano
Professor Associado (com Agregação)
Departamento de Linguística
FCSH/UNL