ISO 639-3 changes

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jan 25 13:25:26 CET 2015

On 25 Jan 2015, at 03:53, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Indeed.  The article <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BBOkina> says: says "For words that begin with an ʻokina, capitalization rules affect the next letter instead (for instance, at the beginning of a sentence, the name of the letter is written "ʻOkina", with a capital O).” Unfortunately, no source is given, but it agrees with what I have seen
> for both Hawaiʻan and Khoi-San languages.

In my editions of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking-Glass” and in the forthcoming “Ka Hopita”, this is the practice I followed.

We also distinguish the glottal-stop apostrophe and the single left quotation in that the glottal is larger in the font than the quotation marks. This, it turns out, is important for ease of reading.