request for subtag for Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Aug 5 00:35:59 CEST 2015

Mats Blakstad <mats dot gbproject at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I just want to make you aware that I've submitted an application to
> register Elfdalian/Övdalian in the ISO 639-3 standard, together with
> 10 Scandinavian linguistics:
> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_detail.asp?id=2015-046&lang=ovd

Thanks for the update.

One comment:

> f) Preferred three letter identifier, if available: “alv” or ”

[alv] is the ISO 639-5 code element for "Atlantic-Congo languages."
Since all parts of ISO 639 share the same three-letter code space, this
code element is not available. If the RA approves your request, they'll
pick something different, or you might want to suggest [ovd] for
Övdalian, which is available.