Yue

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Sep 22 23:53:57 CEST 2014

John Cowan <cowan at mercury dot ccil dot org> wrote:

>> 1. Cantonese, not Yue, is the main Chinese language spoken in Hong
>> Kong and Macau.
>
> "Cantonese" and "Yue" are synonymous.

Of course you're right, and I'm beet red with embarrassment.

I hope the ensuing lack of credibility won't completely derail my other
points, which I believe are still valid. Number 4, of course, should be
"... between Yue and other Chinese languages..."

On a side note, is there any reason not to add "Cantonese" as a
Description field to the existing 'yue' language and extlang records? We
did register "zh-yue" as "Cantonese" back in 1999.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell