Additional name "Cou" for 'tsu' (was: i-tsu: minor correction in RFC 5646 language tag entry)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 2 17:38:50 CEST 2014

Pascal Vaillant <pascal dot vaillant at guyane dot univ dash ag dot fr>
wrote:

>> That's a compelling point.  But in Tsou itself there is no phonemic
>> contrast corresponding to the Chinese constrast between zou and cou.
>> So since we have had a specific request for "Cou" but not for "Zou",
>> I'd go with what the requester wants, since these names are not
>> authoritative anyhow.
>
> But then, since the phonemic distinction doesn't exist, it
> seems more logical to insert the pinyin transliteration
> that people who know Chinese would use if they had come to
> hear the name Tsou uttered or spelled in Chinese (be it
> the character, the Wade transliteration, or bopomofo),
> doesn't it?

It seemed to me that the original request was for a particular spelling
used by a particular author. Adding a Pinyin spelling because it would
be generally accessible by people who can read Pinyin sounds even more
like the type of duplication that Section 3.5 cautions against:

"Attempts to provide translations or transcriptions of entries in the
registry (which, by definition, provide no new information) are unlikely
to be approved."

For example:

Type: language
Subtag: en
Added: 2005-10-16
Suppress-Script: Latn

I'm becoming much less inclined to submit forms to modify 'tsu' at all,
although of course others are perfectly free to do so.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell