request for subtag for Elfdalian

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 12:52:46 CET 2014

Many years ago we had a Government official from Sweden visiting our
Gaelic college here in Skye.  I proudly showed him my “European Minority
Languages” webpage:

   http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/saoghal/mion-chanain/en/

[Which, I am ashamed to say, has since suffered from link-rot because I
have neglected it for years.  I should either update it or delete it.]

He got unexpectedly worked up when he saw that I had “Skånsk” as a
language (because I was working strictly with Ethnologue codes and
Ethnologue hierarchy), and said that Skånsk was a dialect and not a
language.

I think it is a shame that the ISO-639 + BCP47 model emphasises so much
the distinction between language and dialect, and that changing from one
to the other involves a big recoding exercise.  By contrast, the Glottolog
approach of atomic codes for languoids allows a more flexible approach,
with the hierarchy behind the scenes changing over time, and perhaps also
the language/dialect status, but the atomic code remaining the same.  On
the other hand, the concept of “language” is useful, and ISO-639 + BCP47
is what we’ve got, and this list is for discussing practical requests, not
philosophy ;-)

Caoimhín