Serbo-Croatian continuum: the top level

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Mar 3 06:01:09 CET 2014

Peter Constable scripsit:

> The report from the 639-3 RA mentions the need to first resolve the
> issue in relation to ISO 639-2. Did you make a request to the 639-2 RA?

I haven't.  I have no contact with that RA; if someone else does (hint,
hint) that would be a Good Thing.  I shouldn't think either RA is going
to change the interpretation of the existing 'sh', 'sr', 'hr', and 'bs'
code elements, though.

> Can you provide more info on the usage scenarios for which these would
> be needed, and how users and interop would be impacted by creating
> distinct primary language subtags rather than using existing primary
> language subtags with new variant subtags?

Well, an obvious point is that Certain Companies systematically ignore
variant subtags.  Arguably that's mostly because they don't care about
spoken versions, though there *is* (mostly older) literature in both
Chakavian and Kajkavian varieties.

--
If you understand,                      John Cowan
   things are just as they are;         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
if you do not understand,               cowan at ccil.org
   things are just as they are.