Another line-length issue

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jan 9 20:32:33 CET 2014

The Language Tag Extensions Registry has a line length problem similar
to the one I described earlier, which will also need to be corrected.

The Comments field for identifier 'u' is as follows:

Comments: Subtags for the identification of language and cultural
  variations. Used to set behavior in locale APIs. Data is
  located in the "common/bcp47" directory inside the referenced
  URL. Unicode Technical Standard #35 (LDML) provides additional
  reference material defining the keys and values.
  For more details please see
<http://cldr.unicode.org/index/bcp47-extension>.

The last line exceeds the 72-byte line limit. According to RFC 5646,
Section 3.7, this registry MUST follow the same record-jar format as the
Language Subtag Registry, which means it is supposed to adhere to this
limit.

The field could be reformatted as follows to meet the requirement:

Comments: Subtags for the identification of language and cultural
  variations. Used to set behavior in locale APIs. Data is located in
  the "common/bcp47" directory inside the referenced URL. Unicode
  Technical Standard #35 (LDML) provides additional reference material
  defining the keys and values. For more details please see
  <http://cldr.unicode.org/index/bcp47-extension>.

Or it could be formatted as shown in RFC 6067, Section 2.2, where all
the lines are a bit shorter to account for the indenting required in the
RFC format. (It's not clear why this formatted was not adhered to when
the record was added in September 2010.)

I will submit an updated record to correct this. The procedures for
updating this registry aren't specified quite as clearly in RFC 5646 as
they are for the subtag registry, but I assume the same general process
applies.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­