Nit regarding the comment for code ggr

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Feb 19 19:02:01 CET 2014

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at telia dot com> wrote:

> [...]
> Comments: see ggm, gtu, ikr
> %%
>
> However, there is no record for ggm, which is a code that seems to
> have been retired before entering a batch of updates to the subtag
> registry (it was "active" briefly in the ISO 639-3 registry).
>
> So the comment line should be "Comments: see gtu, ikr".

Karl is correct. I did notice this while doing the recent changes, but
forgot to say or do anything about it, which is the same as not
noticing.

The code element [ggm] for Gugu Mini was added to ISO 639-3 in January
2013 (Change Request 2012-138). Discussions after that point, and before
the long-delayed addition of these changes to the BCP 47 Registry,
revealed that "Gugu Mini" is actually an ill-defined cover term that
does not refer to a single language. The ISO 639-3 Registrar informed
this list in September [1] that there was a proposal to deprecate [ggm]
(CR 2013-030), and because the big set of Registry changes had not yet
been submitted to IANA, I withdrew the addition of 'ggm' from that set,
pending the later decision. However, I forgot to modify the comment
being added to the existing subtag 'ggr'. So, it's been wrong in the
Registry since September.

[1]
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2013-September/011853.html

The registration form to deprecate 'ggr' also said that [ggr] in 639-3
was being split into three code elements, including [ggm]. This
statement is still true, even though 'ggm' was never added to the
Registry, so there should be no need to make any change there.

Below are the record and registration form to fix this comment. (Karl,
let me know if you want your name on the registration form; it's the
closest thing we have to a finder's fee.) This change can be submitted
to IANA as soon as March 6, and I suggest that we do not need to hold
the other changes until then.

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2014-xx-xx
%%
Type: language
Subtag: ggr
Added: 2009-07-29
Deprecated: 2013-09-10
Comments: see gtu, ikr
%%

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Doug Ewell

2. E-mail address of requester: doug at ewellic.org

3. Record Requested:

Type: language
Subtag: ggr
Deprecated: 2013-09-10
Comments: see gtu, ikr

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

6. Any other relevant information:

This is a correction to the Comments field for this subtag, which
previously read "see ggm, gtu, ikr". The subtag 'ggm' was never added to
the Language Subtag Registry. The corresponding code element [ggm] was
withdrawn from ISO 639-3 on 2014-02-03.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell