Registration request for new variant subtag; Anii, Balanka

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Feb 4 15:44:15 CET 2014

Gordon P. Hemsley scripsit:

> And, to take a step further, isn't the mention of Anii in the
> variant subtag (with either 'ani' or 'anii') redundant with the
> language subtag? Why not use 'balanka' instead? We have enough
> characters for it, don't we?

Normally we try to make sure that the subtag is globally unique, but Dr.
Google seems to think that "balanka" refers only to the place in Togo
that's relevant, and to very little else (a dog, someone's username, etc.)
I think "balanka" would be fine in this case, and much clearer.

--
"But I am the real Strider, fortunately,"       John Cowan
he said, looking down at them with his face     cowan at ccil.org
softened by a sudden smile.  "I am Aragorn son  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
of Arathorn, and if by life or death I can
save you, I will."  --LotR Book I Chapter 10