Unifon script?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Sep 28 10:21:14 CEST 2013

Mark Davis ☕ scripsit:

> We could use “und-Latn”, since 'und' is what we use where the language tag
> would be unspecified.

No, that would mean that it would be appropriate to use this subtag
only in tags of the form "und-Latn-unifon" and not (say) en-unifon or
en-Latn-unifon.  "Prefix:" is syntactic, not semantic.

But in any case, all this hardly matters.  The problem with, say,
"en-Cyrl-unifon" is that it's nonsense, and in general prefixes (other
than those used with macrolanguages) don't attempt to protect us from
nonsense.  They provide guidance of good usage, not a prohibition on
bad usage.

--
Cash registers don't really add and subtract;           John Cowan
        they only grind their gears.                    cowan at ccil.org
But then they don't really grind their gears, either;
        they only obey the laws of physics.  --Unknown