Unifon script?

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 28 07:14:41 CEST 2013

This brings up an issue that seems at least as interesting as the language prefix issue: this variant implies (or should imply) Latn script, but we don't have a good mechanism to capture that. This isn't a new scenario, though ? the same would apply to the fonipa variant subtag, for instance. A prefix field, per the current rules, must contain a valid tag; it can't have a language range like "*-Latn".

Related, I don't recall if we ever discussed a potential interaction with suppress script: if the variant implies a particular script, then a script subtag adds no additional information ? e.g. "en-Latin-unifon" would be no more informative than "en-unifon". That's the kind of situation for which suppress-script was added. But adding a suppress-script field to a variant entry is not currently allowed.

Peter

Sent from Windows Mail