Unifon script?

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 20 21:05:11 CEST 2013

Hi.
Michael Everson
    everson at evertype.com

    Sun Sep 15 20:19:17 CEST 2013

> On 15 Sep 2013, at 18:31, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:

>> It's also worth mentioning that script subtags cannot be added to the Language Subtag Registry unless the corresponding ISO 15924 code element already exists (RFC 5646, Section 2.2.3). Since there is currently no ISO 15924 code element for Unifon, it's not a question of whether a variant subtag is the best way to go; it's the only way to go.

> The code element is Latn.

I'm sorry that I'm confused; is Michael saying that [en-Latn], [hup-Latn], etc. should be listed in the prefix fields for the variant [unifon]?
Or just [*-Latn]? (I don't think we have the wild card option though in registering prefixes) Normally [Latn] is the default script for these languages that are identified in the prefixes, right? But I suppose anyone could be written in another script.
([unifon] is  similar I would guess, and as you all have said, to [fonipa]; I'm not sure what Doug is saying but more prefix fields can be added later;  prefixes can also be removed later I understand, so long as you remove them all; also, for example, if you have registered a prefix [en-Latn], you can remove [Latn], making the prefix just [en]; [fonipa] as we registered it, has no prefix requirements)

Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com