New variant subtags for Serbian language

Goran Rakic grakic at devbase.net
Sun Nov 17 21:08:18 CET 2013

Dana Ned, 17 Novembar, 2013 20:23 , Michael Everson je napisao/la
> On 17 Nov 2013, at 16:38, Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:
>
>> sr-Cyrl-ekavian
>> sr-€‹Latn-ekavian
>> sr-Cyrl-ijekavn
>> sr-€‹Latn-ijekavn
>>

> I prefer these final tags.

Hi Michael,

I do not know if your last comment is on short forms by M Rancic or a
comment about the new proposed subtags. I would like to say that I am ok
with "ekavian" as the alternative for the currently proposed variant
subtag "ekavn" if it is a better fit for the registry.

I could not find any recommendation in the relevant RFC on how to
abbreviate a subtag to the allowed length. So Caslav Ilic from kde-i18n-sr
group and I had a short discussion [1] that concluded it would be nice to
have some symetry in abbreviations for two new subtags. Name "ijekavian"
with nine letters is too long so I went for shorter "ijekavn" having just
seven letters. If we now follow the same abbreviation style, the other
variant subtag should be "ekavn".

Both names works very well in Google search at least, returning correct
results targeting "Ekavian" and "Ijekavian". [2] [3]

If I try to pronounce the short name it sound almost like the
non-abbreviated form.

I think it is valuable to have both subtags spelled in the same style, but
I do understand if you want to keep the greatest level of information in
the allowed number of characters.

Please tell me if there are some recommendations in the RFC that I should
be aware, or your general comments on should we go with ijekavn / ekavn as
it is proposed now or should we decide on some alternative names.

Kind regards,
Goran Rakic

[1] (in Serbian)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sorta/poxVyu-pQOg/VBVLHHV4S5kJ