New variant subtags for Serbian language

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Nov 16 17:10:54 CET 2013

Philip Newton scripsit:

> Are there not also Ekavian and Ijekavian (and also Ikavian) variants
> of Croatian? (Though I don't know to what extent they are written.)

Standard Croatian (as opposed to the dialects spoken by Croats, and also
as opposed to the dialects spoken in Croatia) is exclusively Ijekavian.
None of the modern standards are Ikavian.

Representing the spoken dialects will require something more complicated
than this: there is a lot of variation out there.

--
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi                            John Cowan
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi.              cowan at ccil.org