Second batch of ISO 639-3 modifications

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Aug 21 00:17:32 CEST 2013

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Hi, since the folks at ISO  are adding alternate names for some
> languages, I do have a question about batch two, which  looks great to
> me  (no errors I could find), but I wonder: why is there no alternate
> name for Mudburra (Pinkangama) -- as listed in the change request
> document filed by the requester
> (http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2012-073.pdf) but not in list
> of changes made?
> -- or do you not list an alternate unless iso 639-3 lists one?

Change request documents submitted to the RA regularly ask for lots of
things which aren't approved. For example, several of the current bundle
of name-change requests asked for a new name to become the reference
name, and for the old reference name to become an alternative name. The
RA generally added the new name as the alternate instead.

These "ISO 639-3-based" changes reflect actions taken by the RA, not
those the requesters wish they had taken. Anyone may come to this list
and request additional Description fields for an existing subtag. Other
participants may weigh in, and the Reviewer will make a decision.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­