[webfinger] Default language (Was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger-10.txt> (WebFinger) to Proposed Standard

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Apr 2 03:59:53 CEST 2013

Hello Paul, others,

ntohuntheonth

On 2013/03/21 11:55, Paul E. Jones wrote:
> Stephanie,
>
>>> The "titles" object comprises zero or more name/value pairs whose name
>>> is a language tag or the string "default". [...] If the language is
>>> unknown or unspecified, then the name is "default".
>>
>> Why inventing a special value when the language tag registry already has
>> a specific value, "und"? To quote RFC 5646:
>>
>>> The 'und' (Undetermined) primary language subtag identifies linguistic
>>> content whose language is not determined.  This subtag SHOULD NOT be
>>> used unless a language tag is required and language information is not
>>> available or cannot be determined.
>
> This is historical.  The JRD syntax was first defined in RFC 6415 and that
> document said to use "default" when the corresponding XML document did not
> specify the xml:lang attribute.

It would be very good if the people involved could come up with a way to
get rid of this historic oversight, the earlier, the better. Maybe this
should actually be an erratum to RFC 6415? It should have been caught
before that RFC was published, but unfortunately, such oversights happen.

Regards,   Martin.