Private Use Variant Subtag

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Fri Mar 30 22:32:37 CEST 2012

There is no variant subtag that is "guaranteed" to be unassigned and yet still be syntactically valid.

Unlike the subtags based on external standards, BCP 47 didn't reserve any variant subtags for private use (because such a usage is superfluous: we have a panoply of private use mechanisms). If you want to test something, it is useful to note that most of subtags registered are at least vaguely mnemonic. A subtag like "qxqxqxqx" is a pretty good bet.

Addison