New extension for transformed languages

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 05:18:07 CET 2012

    Hi, once more.

Doug Ewell
    doug at ewellic.org

    Wed Mar  7 16:57:14 CET 2012

> CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>>> Of course, some translation decisions have more to do with the
>>> individual translator than with either the source or target language,
>>> and of course there is no way to tag that thought process, nor should
>>> there be.
>>
>> Then I suppose Doug does not feel it would not be wise to register a
>> mechanism for a translation (I am unsure myself as to whether it would
>> be wise, though, because, for example, some people translating poetry
>> ignore the rhythm and carefully translate the words and then make the
>> word order come out in the new language; other translations are just
>> word-by-word without being rearranged; and then some translations take
>> a great deal of liberty, perhaps trying to convey sentence rhythms, or
>> the author's "voice").

> No, I don't feel it would be wise to register a mechanism for
> translation, because we have a brand-new extension ('t') that claims
> to be usable for just that purpose. There would have to be some
> demonstrated real-world need that the 't' extension demonstrably does
> not meet.
Agreed. But I met a second mechanism -- in addition to the m0 mechanism now available for use with the 't' extension).
> Some* decisions on the part of the translator are not taggable, IMHO.
This is what I was referring to, that you believe that what exactly the translator decided may not be taggable in more detail.
> That does not mean I disagree with the entire concept of tagging content
> as having been translated.
Glad to hear this.  Thanks.  Just to see a tag that it's a translation from language A to language B to me seems nice. (Though as noted translations vary; some are quite literal, word by word; some not; I guess this is what some have questioned but I think identifying both kinds of texts as translations is fine.

Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­