New extension for transformed languages

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 5 19:11:06 CET 2012

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> It remains the case that the document gives no information as to how
> "translation" is to be used. Moreover, the term "transform" is so
>  vague as to be nearly useless. It could mean anything.

To me, a tag like "ru-t-it" does mean "translated from Italian into
Russian." If the sense of transcription or transliteration is intended,
I would expect one or both script subtags to be included, instead of
making the tag consumer infer "Cyrillic" from "Russian" and "Latin" from
"Italian." But maybe that's just me.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­