New extension for transformed languages

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 5 03:05:10 CET 2012

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
>
> Transliteration is one thing, which can be managed by an algorithm.
> Translation is something else entirely. There is NO TAG WHATSOVER that
> can tell you why someone might choose to use "entirely" as oppose to
> "wholely" for translating German "ganz".
>
> "t" must only be for script transformation, in my view.

Much of RFC 6497 would seem to indicate otherwise, including this, in
the Introduction:

"This document defines an extension for specifying the source of content
that has been transformed, including text that has been transliterated,
transcribed, or translated, or in some other way influenced by the
source.  It may be used in queries to request content that has been
transformed."

Of course, some translation decisions have more to do with the
individual translator than with either the source or target language,
and of course there is no way to tag that thought process, nor should
there be.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­