New extension for transformed languages

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 5 01:46:22 CET 2012

On 5 Mar 2012, at 00:22, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Although Mark mentioned transliteration, the 't' extension can be useful
> for other types of transformation. There might be value simply in
> indicating that the text was originally in Italian (or Breton, etc.) and
> was translated into Russian.  That might explain certain word choices,
> for example.

No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Transliteration is one thing, which can be managed by an algorithm. Translation is something else entirely. There is NO TAG WHATSOVER that can tell you why someone might choose to use "entirely" as oppose to "wholely" for translating German "ganz".

"t" must only be for script transformation, in my view.