lang ID for "*" (any language)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Jun 13 21:29:24 CEST 2012

Peter Constable scripsit:

> In software application localization, it seems pretty unlikely that
> anyone would have resources hanging around qualified as “und” with
> the meaning ‘some language we haven’t identified’. So, it could
> perhaps be used for the meaning ‘no language is specified’. But
> if one has a need to differentiate two distinct variations on that
> concept, then there might be a problem. We’re thinking that there can
> be use in distinguishing the concept ‘neutral (no information)’ from
> ‘can match any request with no better matching resource (else)’.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  "Und" means that we have no information
about language, and therefore must use a universal/generic approach
(collate using untailored DUCET, for example).  How is that different from
"zzz" specifying that any language is a possibility here, and therefore
we must use a universal/generic approach?

--
But you, Wormtongue, you have done what you could for your true master.  Some
reward you have earned at least.  Yet Saruman is apt to overlook his bargains.