ISO 639-3 2011 changes: introduction

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Jul 27 21:02:43 CEST 2012

The latest round of primary and extended language subtag registrations
based on ISO 639-3 changes is finally ready for review. These
registrations are based on the ISO 639-3 2011 series of change requests,
which were published in February 2012.

Although there were some hiccups on the ISO 639-3 side in the first few
weeks following publication, the vast majority of the delay in
processing these requests has been due to conflicting priorities on my
part. I hope the 5-month delay has not caused excessive hardship for
people waiting to use the new subtags.

The proposed records and registration forms will be sent to this list in
three subsequent messages: one for new subtags, one for updates, and one
for deprecations.

There are 180 registrations in all: 99 for new subtags, 53 for updates
to existing subtags, and 28 to deprecate existing subtags. Two of the
new registrations are for extended language (extlang) subtags, for sign
languages.

Although ISO 639-3 has converted the existing code elements for Nepali
and Oriya into macrolanguages, and added new code elements for Nepali
proper and Oriya proper (and the other two encompassed languages), no
proposals are presented here to add Nepali and Oriya to the list of
macrolanguages whose encompassed languages get extlang subtags
(currently 8, epitomized by Chinese and Arabic). This can be discussed
on the list, and proposals added, if desired. As a note, two years ago
we did this for Latvian, and the resulting discussion carried on for
months.

Please review these proposals and make comments to the list. If you are
commenting on a particular subtag, please change the Subject line to
indicate the specific subtag or language (not just "Re: ISO 639-3 2011
changes: new subtags").

Thanks,

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA