Early Modern English

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 07:54:24 CET 2012

This nuance of this list discussions always
confuses me.

The section 2.2.5 of RFC5646 does not explicitly
require variant subtag to be context free or to
refer to one language only, which is also what
common sense suggests, as subtags are intended
to form a context hierarchy, and are not
supposed to be regarded out of context.

E.g., to me, the hypothetical
'academy'/'academic' subtag would make perfect
sense, and it could be further precised with
year subtag, and would (or could) already have
context (region) set. So, '-academic-1959'
instead of '-1959acad', and now
'-academic-2010', too (in the Belarusian case
mentioned by you).

The 'tudor' refers to the period, and sort of
makes sense, from the same point of view, but
not from the 'the subtag must be context free'
POV. Likewise, the 'earlymod', which too might
be used for another language's Early Modern variant.

Yury