Early Modern English

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:04:56 CET 2012

Hi once more.

Sean B. Palmer sean at miscoranda.com
Thu Jan 12 23:38:02 CET 2012
> . . .
> How many possible transliterations into a subtag or subtags are there?
> The following is the completely enumerated list of all those that make
> sense to me:

> 1. en-emodern
> 2. en-emode
> 3. en-emod

> 4. en-earlymod
> 5. en-earlym

> 6. en-modern-early
> 7. en-modern-e
> 8. en-mod-early
> 9. en-mod-e
I personally like #4 [earlymod]; I don't know what I think of the [-e] extensions in this case,
and in any case this subtag would be I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) a bit more vague in French.  There are currently of course variant subtags registered for this period in French, which includes the 16th and/or 17th centuries, depending on whom you read.
I do not see as much of a problem with [earlymod] for English only as some do here, because "earlymod" is clearly formed from English words --
but of course [16siecle] and [17siecle] were rejected for French partly I believe because "16siecle" and "17siecle" were viewed as generic terms (not specific to French).

Thanks, and best wishes.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com