Early Modern English

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jan 12 17:14:48 CET 2012

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> Sort of.  There are several online EModE dictionaries, some with
> reasonably authoritative backing, but of course not compiled
> contemporaneously.  Robert Cawdrey's "Table Alphabeticall" (1604) is
> useful, but not a complete dictionary in today's sense; it focused on
> "hard vsuall English wordes" rooted in other languages, defined in terms
> of "plaine English words", and is thus more like a technical lexicon or
> glossary.  Johnson's 1755 dictionary is in Modern English, and out of
> scope.

E. A. Abbott, the author of _Flatland_, also wrote _A Shakesperian Grammar_,
which I have read.  It's a detailed traditional grammar of EModE.  The third
edition of 1870 is online at the Internet Archive and Google Books.

> I'd like to get at least temporary hold of a copy of Charles Barber's
> "Early Modern English".

Me too!

--
That you can cover for the plentiful            John Cowan
and often gaping errors, misconstruals,         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
and disinformation in your posts                cowan at ccil.org
through sheer volume -- that is another misconception.  --Mike to Peter