proposed ISO 639 change for "arn"

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:51:45 CET 2012

On 10 December 2012 18:07, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I’m curious to know what people here think about this case?

Sometimes language names are updated if it turns out that that was not
the best name -- whether it was spelled sub-optimally or perhaps had
entirely the wrong name. But the identifier tends to stay stable.

I would have expected this to be the case here, as well. Much as "GB"
stands for the United Kingdom (not just the part of it that is called
"Great Britain"), I would expect "arn" to continue to mean Mapudungun
regardless of how well or badly chosen the symbol was initially.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>