Review period; Nepali and Oriya

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:26:10 CEST 2012

Hi.

Broome, Karen Karen.Broome at am.sony.com
Mon Aug 20 20:54:12 CEST 2012

> I would also add that the extlang coding seemed helpful to me in a digital world where audiovisual content is
> combined with its data and that data is frequently in mostly written Mandarin for the Cantonese speaker (language
> used in a video in spoken form). Precise tagging is still good on both the data and the video, but the structure of the > tag indicated the relationship of spoken and written forms better, and didn't invalidate any past documents in written > Cantonese coded as "zh."

> For me, it made a connection in a language that has less written diversity than spoken diversity in commercial use
> today. For what it's worth. I know others felt differently and still do.

> Regards,

> Karen Broome
> Sony Electronics

I would tend to agree with Karen that where the macro-language and its associated written form is considered to be a transcription of the spoken language (in spite of differences between the spoken form and the way the written text might normally be read aloud), in such cases, an ext lang tag works. However, in cases where the written form is viewed more as a "translation" of the spoken form, I would not think that an ext lang tag would be so appropriate (but yes, if say Aleppo Arabic had previously been tagged as [ar], then the [ar]-tagged materials could be turned up with appropriate filtering using the form ar-xxx). "Stealing" Mark Davis's example (Arabic) again, if a spoken text is in an Arabic dialect, such as the Aleppo dialect, and a written text is in Modern Standard Arabic but is seen as something of a "translation" not a transcription of the spoken text in Aleppo dialect, then the ext. lang tag might not be appropriate -- although it would be of course possible to tag the spoken text as ar-ayp or ar-apc (the latter I suppose would be more correct for Aleppo Arabic but to my quite limited understanding the two varieities seem quite similar), the form ar-xxx might not always be advisable (to my knowledge; it would be nice if a native speaker of Arabic confirmed this however (: ).

(As for [nep], I can't, on a quick search for either {<lang="nep">} or  {content="nep">}, find much data, other than the online typing site linked to by the Wikipedia article on Nepali [www.lipikaar.com/online-editor/nepali-typing], plus a few online phrasebooks/primers. So I am clueless as to what sort of data has been tagged [nep] (though I suspect much would now be tagged [npi]). But as Doug has said, the case of [nep] and [npi] is finished anyway; it's too late for discussion.)

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com