Review period; Nepali and Oriya

Gordon P. Hemsley gphemsley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 07:00:21 CEST 2012

I am of the late-night-and-not-well-thought-out opinion that further use of
extlangs should be discouraged.

AIUI, they are redundant registrations that are automatically deprecated
(in some sense, if perhaps not in name) upon registration. The only purpose
they seem to serve is to allow macrolanguage and microlanguage information
to both be explicit in a single tag, and I'm not sure how useful that is.

Is there any data available for current usecases of extlangs which don't
involve legacy implementations? (I'm assuming that that was the primary
motivation for including them in the spec. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Regards,
Gordon

Sent via mobile device