Language subtag registration for 1990aolp (CEWhitehead) [was Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 104, Issue 17]

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 21:21:23 CEST 2011

Hi again.  It seems that there is some non-reform text at "Publico," as Antonio says, so it may not be the best example of reform spelling. "Diario de Noticias" however may follow the reform orthography.  (Hope that's correct.)

António H F P A Emiliano (FCSH/UNL) ah.emiliano at fcsh.unl.pt
Sat Sep 17 12:54:19 CEST 2011

> On 2011/09/17, at 11:00, ietf-languages-request at alvestrand.no wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:12:12 -0400
> From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail.com>
> . . .

>> I briefly went to both Publico and Diario de Noticias, after
>> reading Antonio's post (Antonio says that "Publico" is not adopting
>> the reform).
>> (One Note:  Regardless of whether or not these newspapers are
>> adopting the reform, unfortunatley both "Diario de Noticias" and
>> "Publico" sometimes carry the same articles. An example is the
>> following article -- the first copy came from "Diario de Noticias;"
>> the second from "Publico":
>>
>> "O ministro da Educa??o e Ci?ncia, Nuno Crato afirmou hoje em Valpa?
>> os que sempre houve professores com contratos a termo de um m?s,
>> mas que este ano se verificou uma renova??o autom?tica."
>>
>> "O ministro da Educa??o e Ci?ncia, Nuno Crato, afirmou hoje, em
>> Valpa?os, que sempre houve professores com contratos a termo de um
>> m?s, mas que este ano se verificou uma renova??o autom?tica."

(Sorry about the character substitutions for accented characters in email.)
>> In this case I guess the spelling is the same both with/without
>> implementing the orthographic reform -- is this correct?

> Yes, because that quotation has no words affected by the reform.
>>   But I wonder what what spelling will be used if these newspapers
>> opt to carry other identical articles where there are words that
>> are not spelled the same way pre- and post-reform?  Oh well.)

> There is Portuguese news agency called Lusa which has adopted the
> reform. Many newspapers opt to quote from Lusa's dispatches about
> current events or last minute news without any text editing.
Thanks for info.  This is understandable, I guess (news can't wait).

The following seems to be the URL for Lusa:
http://www.lusa.pt/default.aspx?page=home
(Hope that's right.)

So does Joao also agree this is a good example of pre-reform Portuguese?

> Público
> and others however always correct the spelling in the Lusa texts.

>> I did find another text:
>>
>> "Na sequ?ncia de um relat?rio publicado em Abril pelo Tribunal de . . .
>> . . .
The above text was butchered in email; I'll try pasting it in again:
"Na sequência de um relatório publicado em Abril pelo Tribunal de Contas sobre os encargos assumidos e não pagos pela Madeira, o INE e o BdP avaliaram as contas da região e detectaram que “as dívidas contraídas desde 2004 e objecto de Acordos de Regularização de Dívidas (ADR) em 2008 e 2009 não foram registadas como encargos assumidos e não pagos, não tendo sido igualmente comunicadas às autoridades estatísticas”."

(Note that the url is now apparently:
http://podium.publico.pt/Política/dividas-da-madeira-obrigam-a-revisao-dos-defices-entre-2008-e-2010_1512210 )

>> This is from Publico  (http://economia.publico.pt/noticia/dividas-
>> da-madeira-obrigam-a-revisao-dos-defices-entre-2008-e-2010_1512210);
>>
>> So I do have a question:
>> would  "
>> contra?das" be written without the accent if this were written
>> according to the 1990 orthographic reform?

> No.

Thanks for the info.
I went back and pasted the above text into the link for converting text at Porto Editora's site  (
http://www.portoeditora.pt/acordo-ortografico/conversor-texto/
; Antonio mentions Porto Editora's dictionary, not text converter, below),
and according to Porto Editora's converter at least this particular text in Publico does not follow the reform spelling;
"objecto" would become "objeto" if it did according to the Porto Editora converter.
(Is this at least correct?)

So this is at least an example of a non-reform text.

However, an article that appeared today in Publico seems indeed to be written according to the reform spelling according to the Porto Editora text converter:
http://www.publico.pt/
"Continua a pressão sobre o líder palestiniano, Mahmoud Abbas, abandonar a ideia de pedir a adesão de um Estado palestiniano à ONU. Hoje, a UE pediu “uma solução construtiva""

Would not "ideia" have an accent in a non-reform text?  (I am not sure about "construtiva" either; is this spelling reform or is it both?)

So thus Publico does contain some reform text, although it also seems to contain some non-reform text, for what that's worth. But Antonio may be right here; Publico does not seem to be the best example of the reform spelling.

> There is a good dictionary in print by Porto Editora.
Is it: "Dicionário da Língua Portuguesa - com Acordo Ortográfico da Porto Editora" (Porto Editora)
http://www.portoeditora.pt/  ?

(Porto Editora as noted above also has posted a free online text conversion -- non-reform to reform )

Thanks.
I don't know if any issues have been resolved by all this discussion (but I do know I have learned to read modern Portuguese a bit better! so thanks C:).

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com