Tagging transliterations from a specific script

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Mar 18 13:06:55 CET 2011

after Peter Constable wrote:

> Quoting from his original message that started this thread:
>
> "the ALA-LC system is defined for Arabic scripts and for Cyrillic
> scripts, but the systems lead to very different representations"
>
> If ALA-LC defines multiple, distinct conventions, then it does not
> make sense to have one ambiguous tag to refer to those distinct
> conventions: it simply sets us up to face the very problem we are now
> dealing with.

But I thought he said later that the differences turned out not to be
due to the ALA-LC conventions after all, but to differences in the
orthographies used in the original source texts.

Maybe I'd better wait for Avram to clarify before trying to paraphrase
him further.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­