Applying for a Neo subtag

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Mar 9 18:23:20 CET 2011

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I did what I thought I was supposed to do. I asked the 639-3 RA for
> a new code. Unfortunately their backlog (which seems to have to do
> mostly with tidying up mistakes in existing codes) is large and
> yesterday I was told that my request won't be looked at until June
> or July (which I don't consider to be appropriately responsive).

I'm pretty sure the backlog has at least something to do with a change
in personnel.  Joan Spanne has resigned as Registrar and Melinda Lyons
has filled this role and is getting up to speed.

The delays have already caused frustration for at least one other
requester, and they will increase our workload of adding and changing
subtags in response to the 2010 change cycle, but we will just have to
deal with them.  Personnel changes happen, and to the extent the delays
are due to fixing past mistakes, I'm sure most people would rather the
mistakes be fixed.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­