Language subtag registration for acor1990 (amended from ao1990)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Aug 26 03:33:00 CEST 2011

On 2011/08/25 19:59, Philip Newton wrote:
> 2011/8/25 João Miguel Neves<joao at silvaneves.org>:

>> Because if easy to find
>> a variant in the registry without looking for the language tag is a
>> requirement, current implementation fails miserably in my short
>> experience with it.
>
> It's not a requirement.
>
> As for my personal opinion, "pt1971" would make it easier to find and
> understand, *but* this ease does not make up for the (subjective)
> "ugliness" of the subtag which comes from repeating the language code
> as part of the subtag name. So on the balance, I - personally - would
> disprefer "pt1971".

Agreed, the 'pt' in the variant subtag is very ugly indeed!

The list of prefixes will contain 'pt', and the description will contain
the word Portugese. If you want to search for the variant subtags that
can be used with German, a textual search for "Prefix: de".
A search for 'de' (as a whole word) is a bit less efficient, but only
because of descriptions such as "Lengua de Señas del Paraguay". 'pt'
does not have that problem.

Regards,   Martin.