Language subtag registration for acor1990 (ammended from ao1990)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:25:07 CEST 2011

Hi.

António H F P A Emiliano (FCSH/UNL) ah.emiliano at fcsh.unl.pt
Thu Aug 25 16:48:54 CEST 2011

> 1945 - Portuguese orthography of 1945 (Convenção Ortográfica Luso-
> Brasileira, 1945)
> 1990 - Portuguese orthography of 1990 (Acordo Ortográfico da Língua
> Portuguesa, 1990) -->
> --> alternatives: 1991 (ratification), 2008 (transitional
> enforcement), 2014 (full enforcement?)

We cannot predict the full enforcement date so I would probably if I were you avoid 2014 (as you note the full enforcement date would be acceptable as the language subtag name after all ratify this treaty).

A question for you:  is it acceptable to you to use abbreviations of the Portuguese terms for this treaty, "acordo -> acord" or "convencao -> conv" ? I suppose these end up being too opaque.)

> Regional variants should also be encoded in subtags: at least one for
> each the signatories of the Treaty of 1990.
Hmm.  Sometimes people have suggested doing this with country codes (when the regional boundary is the country).  Of course indicating that a language is pt-[xxxxxxxx]-PT or anything else does not mean it is Portuguese Portuguese as specified by the 1990 treaty.
Do you prefer to register a variant instead of using PT, etc?

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:59:39 CEST 2011
> When someone comes along and says, "I have material which I wish to
> tag with language subtags. I have a business need to distinguish
> between [variety 1] and [variety 2], and would like to propose two
> subtags to cover them", that's when variant subtags get created.

I agree with Phillip here.

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com