Language subtag registration for acor1990 (ammended from ao1990)

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Thu Aug 25 17:40:49 CEST 2011

Em 25-08-2011 15:48, António H F P A Emiliano (FCSH/UNL) escreveu:

> I think this is the most simple (and less problematic) procedure .
>
> pre1911 - Traditional Portuguese orthography (late 18th century to
> early 20th century)
> 1911 - Portuguese orthography of 1911
> 1945 - Portuguese orthography of 1945 (Convenção Ortográfica
> Luso-Brasileira, 1945)
> 1990 - Portuguese orthography of 1990 (Acordo Ortográfico da Língua
> Portuguesa, 1990) -->
> --> alternatives: 1991 (ratification), 2008 (transitional
> enforcement), 2014 (full enforcement?)

Hi António.

Does 1945 make sense? Was the 1971 Brazilian implementation the adoption
of the 1945 agreement? Portugal's small change in 1973 indicated that to
me, but I've seen contradictory opinions and would like to know what's
yours.

> The meaning for the dates must be clarified.
> Earlier periods should be considered: pre1214, 1214, 1255, 1536, 15th
> century,  ...
> Regional variants should also be encoded in subtags: at least one for
> each the signatories of the Treaty of 1990.
> Differences between Portuguese and Brazilian are huge (they're
> different languages functionally and for all linguistic purposes no
> matter how they are written).
We're discussing here the variant subtag. The usage is
country and region are already encoded in the other subtags. So, even
without a variant tag, pt-PT and pt-BR are already different. The
variant subtag would not change that.

Cheers,
João Miguel Neves