Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:40:00 CEST 2010

On 09/15/2010 11:19 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2010, at 07:01, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
>
>> Also, frankly, Shakhmatov isn't widely known in connection with this, rather Lunacharsky (people's commissar of education).
>
> Well, at http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Реформа_русской_орфографии_1918_года Lunačarskij's name appears twice, and Šaxmatov's name appears twice.
Yers. Indeed, my argument was that if anybody's
name *at all* should appear in such subtag, it
should be Lunacharsky's. However, my broader
argument was that attributing those changes
(long talked about, ripe for introduction, etc.)
to any single person would be somewhat
misleading. Why not '1918new', at that?
'1918decree', even?

-Yury