Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:01:26 CEST 2010

On 09/15/2010 08:01 AM, Avram Lyon wrote:
> 2010/9/15 Yury Tarasievich<yury.tarasievich at gmail.com>:
>> Possibly I'm talking from an insider's point of view (on history), but
> Shakhmatov was the chair of the Orthographic Commission that released

I'm not talking about blame at all, but rather
about 1) the *spread* of the reform in 1918 2)
it being orthographical primarily (Bunin was
quoted to show the example of perception).

Also, frankly, Shakhmatov isn't widely known in
connection with this, rather Lunacharsky
(people's commissar of education). So,
speculating in the spirit of Doug's reply, might
not one be misled into thinking there was some
*specific* Shakhmatov variant? The chief point
of decree was simplifying the orthography and
abolishing the hard cases of "fita, yat and
izhitsa". The debates on these went on for years
(even decades?); I believe you can't apportion
neither blame, nor fame to Shakhmatov for these
changes.

I don't know the realities of American
Slavistics, of course.

> At least in American Slavistics, Petrine is used very widely to refer
> to Peter I, and specifically to the reforms. No one would call these
> "Peter's reforms" -- only "the Petrine reforms".

Fine, then.

-Yury