Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Sep 13 19:01:31 CEST 2010

Avram Lyon <ajlyon at ucla dot edu> wrote:

> If we like names instead of numbers, then I think that "shakhmat"
> would be a great subtag. Should I formulate a request for this subtag
> as well?

Go ahead.

> Type: variant
> Subtag: grazhdan
> reforms of 1708 to the 1917 orthographic reform

Not surprisingly, I'm concerned about the length of this Description
field.  It would be the longest in the Registry to date, surpassing even
the current leader, grandfathered tag "zh-min-nan".  This field might
reasonably be used as a label in a user interface, where a more succinct
yet still accurate description might be preferable.  The detailed
information could still be captured in a Comments field.

Would any of the following (or something else) be acceptable as a
Description field, moving the existing Description field to Comments?

  Petrine orthography
  Petrine orthography of 1708
  Russian orthography of 1708

--