Proposed new variant subtag: pre1917

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 21:08:19 CEST 2010

On 09/12/2010 09:43 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Yury Tarasievich <yury dot tarasievich at gmail dot com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, there'll be a need for a separate subtag
>> denoting IO introduction.
>
> Why? Avram hasn't indicated that he has a need for one. If you do, it
> would be up to you to propose it.

Well, just entering into the spirit of the
thing. Personally, I consider the whole issue of
pre-1917 discriminations somewhat superfluous.
Just like your English case, really.

Excepting the Petrin reforms and IO
introduction, before 1917 there were no
clear-cut boundaries, and the changes just mean
some letters gradually falling into disuse. I
guess I might dig out a history book which would
attribute those interim changes to some texts,
but would those markers be truely recognisable?

-Yury